Thursday, January 10, 2008

Michelle Ramirez Arrested In Sunday Night Taco Stand Shooting In Salt Lake City And Charged With Obstruction Of Justice

The owner of the getaway car in a Sunday night (January 6th) shooting has been arrested by Salt Lake police. Full story with video aired January 9th, 2007 on KTVX Channel 4 in Salt Lake. Supplemental reports aired on KUTV Channel 2, and posted by the Salt Lake Tribune.

Michelle Ramirez, identified as the owner of a 1991 Chrysler New Yorker with Utah license number 488 UTN, was arrested in connection with the shooting after police found her abandoned car on January 8th and traced ownership to her. Although Ramirez told the police that she merely "loaned the car to friends", detectives claim she lied several times about known facts of the murder case and refused to reveal the identifies of the people she loaned the car to, so she's now sitting in jail. She's been charged with obstruction of justice in a homicide investigation, a second-degree felony. However, police do not know at this time what type of ties she has to the two suspects. Whether she's withholding information out of fear or out of a misguided maternal instinct is unknown; however, with the numerous stories on this blog about Hispanic men who go ballistic at the drop of a hat, it could easily be the former.

On Sunday night, as previously discussed HERE, two Hispanic men drove up to a taco cart in the Sears parking lot near 800 South and State Street in Salt Lake and fatally shot 16-year-old Diego Martinez, who was a sophomore at Granger High School, and wounded 23-year-old Eder Orona, who was initially in a coma but is now in stable condition. Witnesses provided a description of the vehicle and a detailed description of one of the prepetrators, who is described as in his 20s, about 5 feet 8 inches, 165 pounds with short hair that is curly on top. He was last seen wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans.

Police look upon the recovery of the car as a major break in the case which is opening up new leads being pursued. They seem quite optimistic about an early resolution of the case. They ask anyone who has additional information or who witnessed the event to call the Salt Lake Police Department at 801-799-3000.

No comments: